The Yucatan Times, the major English language news source for the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico is looking for an intern to join our team in Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico for 6 – 12 months experience.
The intern/copy editor will ensure that text is readable, accurate and ready for publication. The person will be working on the daily publications of The Yucatan Times. He/she must have a journalistic focus, thinking as a reporter, even when editing other peoples copy. The work will be desk based, and the hours negotiable.
The person will:
· Check text to ensure it is well written and logically structured
· Correct grammar and spelling
· Rewrite sentences, paragraphs or articles as needed, while ensuring that content is truthful and not defamatory.
· Ensure the text is in line with the newspaper guidelines
· Check facts and raise queries with the author
· Be alert for potential legal problems and discuss them with the publisher
· Check illustrations and captions
· Compose headlines for each article
· Write 'stand firsts' - introductory paragraphs that sum up a story and draw the reader in
· Edit stories to fit a set word count
· Lay out stories to a set page design.
Intern/copy editor must have:
· At least basic Spanish language skills, to understand the local outlook.
· Excellent written English, including extremely high level of spelling and grammar
· Meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
· The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
The person will be working on a range of publications, including news, academic journals, editorials, business publications, descriptions, and advertising, all of which in online format.
Our offices are in the beautiful city of Mérida, Yucatan, which will be your home for the period you spend with us. We are able to provide assistance in locating a place to live, however travel and living costs are at your own expense during your stay. The internship is unpaid. We are hoping to find a candidate who can obtain a grant to cover his/her costs.
We will assist with documentation for the required visa to allow you to stay in Mexico for 6 – 12 months as agreed.
Interested? In the first instance, please contact Stewart Mandy - email@example.com - forwarding your CV, with a cover letter telling us why you are applying for this opportunity and what you hope to gain from it. Please also mention your Spanish language level.